Online Baking Class - Espécies de São Jorge (Spice Cookies of São Jorge Island)
Baking Class - Espécies de São Jorge (Spice Cookies of São Jorge Island)
Learn to make the iconic Azorean spice cookie from the island of São Jorge.
NOTE: This is a 2 day class. The pastry and filling must be made the night before assembly.
In this class you will learn to make:
- Massa tenra -the unique pastry for this cookie
- Recheio - the lemon, anise, cinnamon and pepper spiced bread crumb filling
- Traditional shaping technique
- Flavor variations
Each ticket allows access for one screen (multiple people may work from the same screen)
Shopping list and recipe will be provided 48 hours before class.
The class will be given over Zoom. Link will be provided 48 hours before class.
You must have access to the following kitchen equipment:
- Kitchen scale in grams
- Heavy stand mixer (like a kitchen aid)
- Pasta rolling machine (it can be a hand cranked model or the kitchen aid attachment. If using the hand cranked model, having a second pair of hands will make the process slightly easier)
- Small fluted pastry wheel (I recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Sales-HSPRW-15D-Pastry-Cutter/dp/B072JBQB3Y/ref=sr_1_5?crid=37EVLX5HNFIZW&dchild=1&keywords=fluted+pastry+wheel&qid=1601951465&sprefix=fluted+pastry%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-5)
- Rolling pin
- Digital thermometer